HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The English Riviera

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
josephpkmount

PostSubject: The English Riviera   Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:55 am

Hello Everyone,

I've been aware of this forum for some time and thought it only fair to pop in and say hello to everyone.
Hello.

The new record is currently being mixed and I am getting quite excited about the next few months. Not only am i getting excited, but everyone involved seems to be pretty happy too. So, you shouldn't have to wait too much longer before you start hearing little bits of new music here and there.

Seeing as this is a completely fan created forum (as far as I am aware) I think it seems only fair to give you kind folks some of my time as you have given some of your valuable time to Metronomy.
So, any questions?

Joseph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlfrom1977

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:38 am

New too this forum too. But really looking forward to the next Metronomy album.
Must be soo different from when you started out and recorded the first two albums. How are you finding the new set up recording.

Oh and when is the London gig being announced....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toshiba-3

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am

Hello! Very nice from you to spend some time around here! Very Happy

Yes we are all very excited about the new album and the 2011 tours (I'll have to wait for you guys to come in Belgium/Luxembourg though).
Actually I have an A4 full of questions I would have asked you, given the chance. But considering they are all about your old old stuff, it's unrelated here :B

About The English Riviera, I was wondering whether you'd use older material as you did with Nights Out (The End Of You Too is a song from 2006 at least, and we think Nights Outro is based on The Hula, right?) or if it was all completly new material? Also what were your main influence(s) for the sound of this record?

Pip Paine was a kind of compilation of your best work since you started making music by yourself, with Nights Out you had still full controls but thought the music as the music of a band (I mean here, there was fewer contributions from Oscar and Gabriel, maybe I'm wrong) ; so how did the band collaborate to the album this time? Are you still the mastermind behind the composition? etc.
It seems to me like even Anna is singing on The Look (the live video from the Bicycle Festival), yes?!

Thanks for your time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toshiba-3.com
josephpkmount

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 am

girlfrom1977 wrote:
New too this forum too. But really looking forward to the next Metronomy album.
Must be soo different from when you started out and recorded the first two albums. How are you finding the new set up recording.

Oh and when is the London gig being announced....

Well, Hello there.
They are going to announce a London NME show for February. Not sure when, but soon I should think. It'll be at Heaven on the lovely embankment.

As for recording, it's been amazing. I guess the first two records were done at home because that's all I could do or wanted to do at the time. But, I think as you progress you have to make yourself do things a little differently. I've always respected people who challenge themselves a bit and I've also always wanted to end up using 'real' studios eventually (after about 10 years it would seem).
Half the fun of doing music is doing shows and putting out records and touring new places, but the other half is always making music and having fun behind closed doors...bedroom studio doors or 'real' studio doors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wemmy wemington

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:13 am

Ooh Hello! Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wemmythewemington.tumblr.com/
Seanadelic

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:52 am

Hey Joseph.

It's just nice to see you here, I can't wait until the next album comes out and it'll be exciting to hear the new tunes over the next coming months. As well as maybe going to the Oxford Art Factory in Sydney to see you guys live.

Thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dan

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 am

Joseph! Your the bestest!

Very excited to hear The English Riviera, just wondering if you had any vague idea when it will be released?

Also if you have any songs that never made the light of day it would be amazing if you could post them here!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toshiba-3

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:53 am

Also, will The English Riviera be as good as Nights Out when it comes to listening to it in the car? :B
Side A of Nights Out is a serious killer when you hit the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toshiba-3.com
josephpkmount

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:23 am

Toshiba-3 wrote:
Hello! Very nice from you to spend some time around here! Very Happy

Yes we are all very excited about the new album and the 2011 tours (I'll have to wait for you guys to come in Belgium/Luxembourg though).
Actually I have an A4 full of questions I would have asked you, given the chance. But considering they are all about your old old stuff, it's unrelated here :B

About The English Riviera, I was wondering whether you'd use older material as you did with Nights Out (The End Of You Too is a song from 2006 at least, and we think Nights Outro is based on The Hula, right?) or if it was all completly new material? Also what were your main influence(s) for the sound of this record?

Pip Paine was a kind of compilation of your best work since you started making music by yourself, with Nights Out you had still full controls but thought the music as the music of a band (I mean here, there was fewer contributions from Oscar and Gabriel, maybe I'm wrong) ; so how did the band collaborate to the album this time? Are you still the mastermind behind the composition? etc.
It seems to me like even Anna is singing on The Look (the live video from the Bicycle Festival), yes?!

Thanks for your time!

Mmmm, well.
The thing is, I always have ideas for songs floating around, some of them are brand new, some of them are older. I guess with something like The End of You Too it was a song that I wrote very early on for Nights Out, I wrote it at a point when I hadn't really started doing vocal tracks so it has much more in common with Pip Paine stuff. But, I don't think there's any problem in it being older really. I'm not sure what my point is.

I guess what happens is that you write an album and some of the songs have been there from the very beginning and some are written once you're getting into the swing of recording it.
With the new record most of the songs are completely new and written specifically for the record. But, the line is fuzzy because there are tracks I can think of that have been germs of ideas for quite some time.
To answer your question, No, there aren't any old songs on it.

As for the rest of the questions.
Nights Outro certainly has hula feel.
The rest of the band and Gabriel all play on the new record, but, I am still the only one writing the songs and generally being quite controlling.
The new record is influenced by Chick Corea, Steely Dan, The Beatles, Herbie Hanckock, 2 Live Crew, The Cars and Dr Dre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
josephpkmount

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:26 am

Dan wrote:
Joseph! Your the bestest!

Very excited to hear The English Riviera, just wondering if you had any vague idea when it will be released?

Also if you have any songs that never made the light of day it would be amazing if you could post them here!

Thanks

The album will be out in March next year. I know it seems like a long time, but the record label need months before hand to start promotion etc. I think there will be a new single this side of Christmas though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlfrom1977

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks for all these replies Joesph (or is it Joe?)

Really looking forward to the new album now, roll on March! Well Feb for the London gig actually.
When can we expect to see some of Oscars great work appear on a Metronomy CD or B side maybe.

The transformation that has happened since I first saw you guys supporting Kate Nash has been incrediable. From Gabriel leaving to Anna & Gbenga joining you are still able to create the sounds we expect to hear from Metronomy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pablo

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:50 am

Hello!! Thanks alot for taking the time to speak to your fans. I would love to know if theres any chance of you coming back to Devon for a show? Really looking forward to hearing the new album and cant wait for the Bristol gig!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Late

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Thank you very much, just for your hello, it means a lot to us fans I assure you.

I've heard that the album is somewhat inspired by the transaction between 15-17, first getting to house-parties and growing up, and the lyrics of The Look seem to go along with that quite literally and I'm glad such a concept has been chosen, being 16 myself. How does it come about that you choose this sort of concept for an album? Was it made along with the rest of the band, a personal choice, did it just suit the musical ideas you had brewing? and any stories or moments from your teenage years which has inspired this choice which you'd care to share?

thankssss
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hazzlewis

PostSubject: (Y)   Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Been a huge Metronomy fan for the past 4 years, but last summer was the first time ive seen you guys (and gal) live.. Seriously, ive seen videos, but nothing compared. You literally rocked my world. Youre the only reason i went to 2000 trees! It was £50 but it was worth it. It was a shame really that you didnt have as many Metronomy fanatics as i hoped there would be there, but i was there at the front singing all the words, apart from Heart Rate Rapid.. nobody knows the lyrics to that song. Razz

But indeed! Lest i forget the point of this reply, Im gunna be coming along to your gig in Bristol on the 27th of January.. and i was wondering how much of 'The English Riviera' we are going to hear?! Really excited. REALLY EXCITED. I cant buy my tickets til december, cause thats when i get paid, so actually hoping to god that it doesnt sell out.. If it does, i'll follow you to another venue that still has tickets available.

Love you Mountyy!
Can't wait to get my METRO oN. Oh MY! <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:13 pm

josephpkmount wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I've been aware of this forum for some time and thought it only fair to pop in and say hello to everyone.
Hello.

The new record is currently being mixed and I am getting quite excited about the next few months. Not only am i getting excited, but everyone involved seems to be pretty happy too. So, you shouldn't have to wait too much longer before you start hearing little bits of new music here and there.

Seeing as this is a completely fan created forum (as far as I am aware) I think it seems only fair to give you kind folks some of my time as you have given some of your valuable time to Metronomy.
So, any questions?

Joseph

Hello Joseph! First of all, thanks for dropping by. I'm the rubbish admin of this forum, i can confirm that it is 100% fan created (but i'm sure you can tell that from the shoddy running of the place, hah).

Without sounding like an interviewer for the back page of Smash Hits, do you have a favourite song that you've written yourself? I understand that it could be difficult to hear your own creations as if it were made by someone else, and even then, you could very easily get sick of something after playing it live for several years. On that note... what about a song you wish you could have writtten?

Thanks again,
Yasmin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanna

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 am

Aaahh, just discovered this forum! This is amazing! I really can't wait til the new album is out... "She Wants" has constantly been on repeat since it was released. "Nights Out" is my all time favourite album anyway, so I KNOW that you'll kick ass with The English Riviera. <3 Love you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The English Riviera   

Back to top Go down

The English Riviera
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1