Metronomy Forum!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Metronomy 2.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Totnes

PostSubject: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 2:25 am

Found this on BBC 6 Music website http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20090430_metro.shtml

Metronomy’s New Face
Band to unveil new lineup tonight
30 April 2009 - A new Metronomy lineup is set to be unveiled tonight, the band have revealed to 6 Music.

Gabriel Stebbing from the band is leaving to focus on his emerging side project Your Twenties, and main man Joe Mount told us he’s planning to get in live drums and a bass player to join him and Oscar Cash.

The new quartet is likely to be unveiled tonight as the band play at Glasgow’s Hinterlands festival. “[The band] is in a state of disarray,” Joe joked. “We’ve been doing the same basic live show for the last three years so it’s nice to take it as an opportunity to give it a different sound.”

Joe told 6 Music it’s an amicable split and that Gabriel is keen to pursue his new band Your Twenties, who are already gaining press attention thanks to their single Caught Wheel. Your Twenties play at Hinterlands tomorrow night.

“Gabriel has been writing songs for years, and I’ve played in his bands,” Joe said. “I kind of always expected him to want to go and do his own band and be the man in control. There’s absolutely no bad terms at all.”

Joe said he’s been producing Your Twenties’ tracks, which he plans to continue. Mount has also produced acts like cocknbullkid and the band have remixed the likes of Klaxons, Roots Manuva and Lykke Li.

Meanwhile Metronomy are playing a brace of festivals this year including the Great Escape in Brighton, Reading and Leeds festivals, Glastonbury, Latitude and Bestival.

Joe said at the end of the summer the band will be doing another UK tour, and he hopes to have some new material to play to the crowds by then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 8:51 am

well i decided i may aswell read it, for this reason. If I were to have ignored all press about it, gone to tthe gig and been..surprised but not in a good way, it'd probably ruin the gig for me

**LIVE DRUMMING!**

i wonder what difference that'll make t the show

hmmmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Totnes

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 9:20 am

I was wondering if either of you would break.

Read a tweet today which said the sound at the gig last night wasn't to good either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Totnes

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 am

Just found question asked in an interview to Joe ages ago about involving live drums.

http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?a=12204

"Are you considering playing drums live?
I used to play in a lot of guitar bands when I was younger, but it was a pain in the arse carrying a drum kit around, to be perfectly honest. It's a lot easier without it, but if we suddenly make lots of money and can afford someone to carry our equipment, I might get a drum kit, we'll see."

So it would seem the Metronomy cash cow is fit and healthy at present.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ROWAN

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 9:41 am

Personally, I don't mind knowing who the band members are - I just don't want to know about the actual performance. So after I know that, I'm probably not going to read this thread any more because I want a surprise. Haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/EddieFusion
nikah

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Live Drumming and new material in the summer. . .AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Totnes

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 pm

More 2.0 guff.

http://www.list.co.uk/article/17556-metronomy-the-arches-30-april-2009/

Unbuttoning a new lineup for the first time at Hinterland, Metronomy fit the Arches like a custom-made, electronic, pop-sewn glove. With the addition of a live drummer, new bassist and stripped-down backing tracks they get an initially hesitant Glasgow crowd dancing – on a school night no less – to songs including ‘Heartbreaker’ and ‘Radio Ladio.’ Introducing the new members during a lounge-based interlude to single ‘A Thing For Me,’ frontman Joseph Mount displays a confidence in his stage presence that’s mirrored by the rest of the band in their first performance as a unit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Totnes

PostSubject: Line up news   Tue May 05, 2009 8:43 am

Found this at http://www.subba-cultcha.com/article_news.php?id=3876

In their new incarnation, Metronomy have enlisted Gbenga Adelekan on bass and Anna Prior on drums turning the already exceptional Metronomy live experience from a laptop looping three piece into a full on live band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toshiba-3

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks for the info!

Here are their twitter:
http://twitter.com/annaprior
http://twitter.com/akiragbenga

I think I'll go see them in Brussels just to discover live Metronomy again?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toshiba-3.com
hermine

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Wed May 13, 2009 2:51 am

I saw them yesterday. Second time ever they played with the new line up. They were too nervous to really enjoy the gig.
It was good, but the gig was too short, and I was just a bit disappointed, because the last time I saw them (in february) it probably was the best gig I've ever been to.

What's new:
no more chestlights.
I missed the dancing. But Oscar's dancemoves are still the same and make me smile every time.
The songs sounded amazing with live drums and bass guitar.
they played an amazing version of What do I do now.

I'm just really happy I saw them twice with Gabriel still around during the last 6 months, because those gigs were amazing.
I think they just need some more time with the new line-up.

And when my friend did an interview with Oscar yesterday, he promised her he would never leave Metronomy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jingo

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 pm

hermine wrote:
no more chestlights.

NO!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ROWAN

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 am

I saw Metronomy 2.0 last night with Your Twenties and it was

THE

BEST

THING

EVER.

I really can't find words to describe how good it was, I just wanted to stand and watch them play for hours and hours on end. It was absolutely brilliant. I can't wait to see them at Underage now! I only wish I could go to more dates on the tour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/EddieFusion
jason_dust

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Sat May 30, 2009 4:55 pm

birmingham show was ace
your twenties and metronomy really made me happy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Sat May 30, 2009 4:57 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I hope Your Twenties do more gigs UP NORF, I'd hate for that to be the last time i ever saw gabe performing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jason_dust

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Sat May 30, 2009 4:58 pm

ahh, i hope theres another tour soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:01 am

Meanwhile Metronomy are playing a brace of festivals this year including the Great Escape in Brighton, Reading and Leeds festivals, Glastonbury, Latitude and Bestival.

Latitude? really?!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Totnes

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 am

So I saw Metronomy 2.0 for the first time last night and I’m still a little down about the whole affair. I'd been looking forward to seeing them as its been quite a while since I last got to see them. However I wasn't prepared for the changes that the band has taken. The inclusion of live drums and the loss of Gabriel has dealt a blow to the uniqueness and magnetism of Metronomy.

The sound is now driven by the live drum sounds which impede on the subtleties of the guitars and synths. The chemistry of the band has changed and looks fragile at the moment - something I’m sure that will improve with more performances. Metronomy 1.0 was a well drilled machine, three friends together all knowing what they where doing or going to do. Metronomy 2.0 felt awkward, i noticed the band now need set lists, the dance routines have been stripped back and aren't as integral to the performance, the chest lights are now controlled by a computer/audio program so no more chest thumping routines.

The set list relied heavily on material from 'Nights Out' and tracks such as Holiday come alive in a sweaty club and are I’ll admit enhanced by the live drums. But Metronomy's sound and ethos have always been anti indie band anti dance act, last nights show sees them drifting toward the standard indie band model. The majority of the material on 'Nights Out' is vocal heavy and the songs were rolled out last night, Trick or Treat from PPPTFGYO even made the set list. There was a distinct lack of the instrumental and wordless songs (sic) that have been the stock of Metronomy sets over the last few years.

I realise things have to change and I might come to enjoy Metronomy 2.0 as much as i did the original line up but for now I feel a little emptiness when it comes to the live band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:05 pm

I disagree.

Saw them tonight in Nottingham and they were ACE. Bands have to evolve sometimes. Live drumming gave it some extra depth, new uniforms and lights are all in the name progression. A welcome shift.

Like Pip Paine' to Nights Out, it's just how Metronomy is progressing. I like it alot.

I was alarmed at Gabriel leaving, but seeing tonight's show has put me at ease. Your Twenties are a brilliant band in their own right, and his departure has given Metronomy a new perspective. Change can be good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Totnes

PostSubject: Bring back the old lights!   Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:36 am

I agree that bands have to change but I don't believe that the new outfits and lights are a "welcome shift". They added nothing to the experience unlike the old lights and dance routines.
As you say change can be good but it can also be bad!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikah

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 am

trick or treatz live!?

yeah I think we all just need to give them some time, i mean if you listen to YCEHM live at trash it sounds god awful it really does and thats when there was threee of them starting up in 2005 so this new outfit of Metronomy just needs time. . . i'll let D:ream say my point better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-ai9HuR60

Nikah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:00 am

the new uniforms and lights didn't add to the experience, but symbolised the band's change.

it made you think that they haven't just jumbled together new members in Gabriel's departure. it seems like a more natural, deliberate change. they couldn't have the old setup with new member (old chest lights, etc) because it doesnt work without Gabriel, as he was integral to that.

so instead of adding a new member to fill Gabriel's spot, they've changed the setup to integrate new members. like when they did 'Nights Out' they got Oscar, Anna and Gbenga all on one keyboard playing the different parts.

and yes, Trick or Treatz was immense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:05 am

plus, just before the gig we were all hanging out in the seating area in Rescue Rooms (if you've ever been) and i went over and talked to joseph about 'Metronomy 2.0'. he signed my ticket and added '2.0' at the end of 'Metronomy'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 am

MORRISSONS didn't develop a whole roll full of metronomy : (

i think this is my favourite of the shots i took.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wemmy wemington

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:10 pm

cool...I like that picture Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wemmythewemington.tumblr.com/
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:30 am

very bad quality camera phone, but these were the best shots i got. new chest lights are too damn bright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metronomy 2.0   

Back to top Go down

Metronomy 2.0
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Metronomy :: METRONOMY :: LIVE-
Jump to: