Heres the link to the actual blog:-

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=446813307
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikah

PostSubject: Re: Topman CTRL: Joesph Mount   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

March 2, 2009 - Monday

PREPARE FOR THE LATEST FRENCH NEW WAVE

We often suspect there is an indie factory turning out perfect pop four-pieces somewhere deep in the British countryside but in Paris they still make their bands by hand.
That's why Joe from Metronomy is tipping France as the best place to dig up fresh sounds.

And who better than Koko Von Napoo, three girls and a guy from Paris that play the Topman CTRL gig programmed by Metronomy at the Hoxton Bar & Kitchen on March 25th, to act as our introduction to the current French music scene.

Metronomy: "I've not heard that many British bands at the moment that are particularly exciting and my theory is that you have to look south, look to Europe.
The lazy pitch for Koko Von Napoo is that they sound a little like early Stereolab, but they're much more than that.
The singer sounds like Kate Bush and they're really influenced by Factory Records-era Manchester stuff…"

"I met their drummer at a French music festival, she used to write for some French magazines and she interviewed us a few times. Eventually she built up the courage to give us a 7" and it was great.

"They're based in Paris and there are a lot of people there who know more about UK music than I do. Koko Von Napoo make me feel young again – their music reminds me of what it’s like to be 15-years-old.

Released through Trouble Records, who put out early singles from Crystal Castles, Koko Von Napoo's "Polly/Agence Blady" came out at the end of last year.

Oddly, the band takes its name from a Manchester gang of the 1920s who terrorised the Hulme neighbourhood with coal grids.
It's a strange way of referencing a passion for the city's music Renaissance of the 1980s when bands like Joy Division, A Certain Ratio (see picture) and The Durutti Column laid down the template for an arty rock music which is still followed religiously by many bands today.

Lead singer, Toupie, has lived in Brighton but it was upon her return to Paris that Koko Von Napoo began to take shape. CTRL asked for her pick of the current French music scene.
Get clicking to discover some genuine one-off, limited edition musical thrills:

Chateau Marmont
Housse de Racket
Da Brasilians
Breakbot
Sébastien Tellier
Krikor

Koko Von Napoo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikah

PostSubject: Re: Topman CTRL: Joesph Mount   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:34 am

March 4, 2009 - Wednesday

METRONOMY'S BEST OF BRITISH

He may be looking to Europe to indulge his appetite for decent new music, but that’s not to say Metronomy's completely turning his back on old Blighty.
With The XX and Thecocknbullkid also getting him in a bother, London remains a reliable hotbed of credible indie talent.

Metronomy: "The XX are really good. There's four of them and they're all about 19-years-old – they're just amazing.
There's two main vocalists – a guy and a girl – and the girl, who looks a bit like Tracey Thorn, has got the most beautiful voice I have heard in a long time.
"

"The music they play is very soulful but downbeat, it sounds a bit like Interpol – they’ve also done this really amazing cover of 'Teardrops' by Womack & Womack.
" (Which you can hear on their Myspace) "They’ve supported us before, and every time I’ve seen them the shows have been really quiet – it's rare to find people brave enough to be quiet.
"

Not to be confused with the similarly monikered XX Teens, this south London four-piece have recently signed with XL Recordings offshoot Young Turks and are currently putting the finishing touches to their debut album.
(You can view a slideshow of the recording session right here.
)

Also top of Joe's list of London acts worth your hard-earned cash in these troubled times is Anita Blay aka Thecocknbullkid.
The East London songstress has been causing quite a stir over the last year, mainly down to impressive live shows and her only official release to-date – the 'On My Own' 7", produced and released by Metronomy himself.

Metronomy: "I saw Thecocknbullkid is up for the Critics Choice award at this year's Brits.
She deserves it – every time I see hyped acts like Little Boots I think Anita should be in a similar place – she's just wonderful.
"

"She's got so many interesting influences – and lyrically she's great. I've done quite a few recordings with her and often when I'm recording with people I'm not really thinking about what they're singing. When I listen back to what we've recorded I'll listen to her lyrics – she doesn’t pull any punches.
I think she's great and she deserves to be big.
"

Watch her profile get considerably bigger with the release of forthcoming single 'I'm Not Sorry' available via the excellent Moshi Moshi on March 9th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikah

March 6, 2009 - Friday

MEXICO'S MUTATED NEW RAVE

A recent jaunt around the globe saw Metronomy treating eager crowds to their renowned electro-pop party.
Seduced by some fine local refreshments and a great music scene, Mexico emerged as a definite highlight.

Joe: “Quiero Club are a Mexican band, I hadn’t really heard anything from them but Stephen (Metronomy manager and Moshi Moshi founder) was playing a song of theirs when we were in Mexico. They came to one of our shows and gave us some CDs – it’s really good.

“They flit between electronic dancey stuff and poppier music like Pet Shop Boys – they’re Mexico’s answer to Pet Shop Boys ha ha. I was pretty impressed.

“It’s weird how local music scenes filter out to the rest of the world, by the time New Rave hit Mexico it was slightly different. It’s like whenever I see a new kind of angular haircut in London, I’ll go to my parents in Devon for Christmas and see something similar but much more ridiculous ha ha – as it goes through the counties, it mutates. And I think that’s like what’s happened there with the idea of New Rave. Over in Mexico they seem to really love British music – and this band sound much better than a lot of British bands.

Hailing from Monterrey, this leftfield indie-pop troupe have been causing quite a stir in their home country via the release of debut album Wof.
And with labels like Moshi Moshi championing them, lets hope it’s not long before their unique brand of skewed pop is making its way across the pond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikah

March 6, 2009 - Friday

YOUR TWENTIES FLY THE BRIT-POP FLAG

Another band earning the esteemed Metronomy seal of approval are London five-piece Your Twenties – a side project of Metronomy’s very own Gabriel Stebbing.

Joe: “Gabriel and I have been in bands since I was like 14 – he’s always been great at writing pop – especially guitar pop.
A couple of years back we sat down and we were like “let’s record a song” and we ended up doing the ‘Caught Wheels’ song that they released.

“The first gig that they did was at Durrr and I was drumming for them.
When we were rehearsing for it we started mucking around and started playing a Beatles song – we both love The Beatles.
For a long time its not been too cool to like them so we decided we should play one of their songs at the gig and sure enough afterwards people were asking ‘What’s that song? What’s it called?’ and we were like ‘It’s the Beatles!”.
Ever since then they try and incorporate a cover at every gig they do – I think the last time they did ‘Blue’ by Elastica – they’re flying the brit-pop flag.

“Gabriel’s a good front-man and he’s just great at songwriting – I would say they’re one of my favourite new bands… even though I’m connected ha ha”

‘Caught Wheels’ – the Metronomy produced debut 7” – has recently been re-pressed and is available here.
Gabriel and co have a string of UK gigs lined up over the next couple of months, including the first Topman CTRL gig at the Hoxton Bar & Kitchen – buy tickets here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikah

PostSubject: Re: Topman CTRL: Joesph Mount   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 am

March 9, 2009 - Monday

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CLUB IN THE WORLD

From ballrooms in New York City to former furniture stores in Dalston; this week Joe will be taking us on a figurative voyage across his musical globe – revealing all the essential hotspots to visit when on the prowl for new music.
First up, Paris.

It's not just the bands that are making Europe so special at the moment, the venues and clubs are a hotbed of creative excitement that’s breeding new sounds and styles every month.

“Every we time we go to Paris for an interview we’re forever getting taken out or insisting that we get taken out – so we’ve been to quite a few good clubs there. The thing with Paris is that there’s not many venues and the ones which are really popular are kind of only about 150 capacity, they’re kind of quite ‘exclusive’.

“There was an amazing place we went to called Chez Regine… Régine is this old French singer who I’ve never heard of – all the French people we were with were like ‘You’ve never heard of her!?’ ha ha. It’s the most beautiful club in the world, with strip mirror walls everywhere and red velvet seats; it’s amazing.

“The first time I went there it was being bought by the people who owned Le ParisParis so there was a big party and Regine was actually hosting – it was half full of these trendy young Parisians and the other half were 50-year-old guys who were just sitting around. I had a dance with Regine – she kind of coaxed me into it and then I tried to escape but fell into a table… on my face.

“The thing was, I hadn’t even drunk anything – I basically tripped over a monitor.
I got a proper horrible look from everyone, I felt like saying ‘I’m not drunk! It could happen to anyone!’

“After running away from Regine, there was another place I went to that used to be a brothel and it had the same look to it – lots of infinity mirrors and stuff like that. There are some really classy places in Paris, but they can be quite difficult to get into.

A legendary club since the early seventies disco boom, Chez Regine (now known as Le Regine) was recently purchased by La Clique – the team behind some of the most esteemed nightclubs in Paris, including: Club Le Baron, Le Showcase and Chez Moune.
Always at the forefront of the cutting edge music scene – with the likes of Justice and Para One making a name for themselves here – Le Regine’s forthcoming line-ups show no sign of the club losing its crown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Topman CTRL: Joesph Mount   

Back to top Go down

Topman CTRL: Joesph Mount
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1